Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Intro: To The Pursuit of Happyness

The last piece I decided to share with my readers is about a book called;
The pursuit of happyness.
In English 98 toward the end of the quarter we read this book about a man who grew up in terrible enviorment. I chose to write a summery on the book to give other students what I thought about the story. For example: Chris gardener doesn't seem to dwell on the things that go wrong in his life, but learns from them. This story has such a feel to the way that he endures the enviorment and seems to enjoy life's pleasures just a little more than you or me. Although he learns to live with what he has. I think this inspirational story might give someone hope for the future. I took it back to my childhood and I think that I actually had a good life. Even though, we did not have much and we were in poverty. Chris had it bad, with the mental anguish and how he was always living on the edge, scared for his life most of the time.

Chris Gardener, Is a stunning and courageous person with rags to riches story, but to him being rich was not that important, He actually thought to be rich meant you had food in your belly, and a roof over your head. Not how much money you were going to make.

If you can dream it, you can become it.


Melissa Christensen
May 10, 2007
Seminar Paper #1

Pursuit of Happyness



(pg40) Dismissive--- Indicating rejection, especially showing contempt or differences
(pg23) Pragmatic--- Practical results with theories and principles
(pg115) Unsophisticated- inexperienced, not wise in the ways of the world
(pg57) Realm-- scope of something, area of interest
(pg52) casbah—the older part of a city or town in North Africa

(Chapter 3 pg. 67)
Uncle Henry not only made me feel special but allowed me, for the fist time ever, to feel love for a man- in the way that boys fall in love with their fathers and yearn to be like them one day.

This part touched my heart, to know he had an image to look up to.
Uncle Henry was a very special guy to Gardner; he treated him with the kindness that Gardner always wanted out of a father figure. He felt love for the fist time and that has always stuck with him throughout life.






(Chapter 4 pg.77)

People stopped and stared, saying nothing, but obviously thinking what is he doing to that child? What’s wrong with that baby?

I chose this passage because I was a little confused on who DeShanna was to Gardner. The little girl didnt know him and refused to go with him, but as I read on Gardner was taking DeShanna to Ophelia’s house so that they can visit. I thought that was very kind of Gardner to do that for his sister.

(Chapter 5 Pg.113)

“Oh shit,” he said, not even finishing the statement before I crowned him with the cinder block, bearing down with all my strength on the top of his head.
At fist, he didn’t fall, but he faltered. After more pounding, he finally crumpled to the sidewalk, and I threw the brick down, walked away.
Didn't look back, didn’t run. Right or wrong, I silently said the last words that I’d ever think about him----Got you motherfucking ass.

This passage gave me a sense that Gardner was not putting up with Freddie any more, He gave me respect for what he did. Although Freddie knew it was coming to him and Freddie knew that was for beating up his mother for so many years. Gardner became a hero in my book because he put his courage and his anger out on Freddie. I would have done the same, maybe even worse, because I can relate to how much hatred that you can have on someone who has hurt someone close to your heart.


The pursuit of happiness is a great book. Gardner explains the hardship and the pain that he and his family had endured in the past. Many of the issues that surrounded Gardner was all the violence toward blacks, all the drugs and alcohol, but Gardner stood his ground and finished high school, while having a job. He is a very courageous person who doesn’t seem to dwell on the things that go wrong in his life, but he learns a lot of lessons thru his life.

No comments: